You gotta do a post on what it’s like living with/training Mr. Phonte!! I’m getting a puppy in July, and I’m also single, and I would like your insight as to how your life has changed, how training is working out for you, etc, etc.
Congratulations on deciding to get a puppy! I think a puppy is a great little homey for a single female!
Life with Mr. Nicolay Phonte…where to begin…hmm…maybe a list?
1. Someone is always happy to see you – Mr. NP either has short term memory or he just really loves me…whether I am gone 20 minutes or 10 hours I get the same welcome when I walk in the door.
I got him into a bad habit…I pick him up and he likes to walk around my head twice (always twice!)…and if I were to ever lose grip of him it would be a VERY long drop to the floor (almost 6 ft) not a good thing…
2. My own personal alarm clock and security system. Well maybe not security system…maybe more like an alert system. lol. Because lets be real…a 4 lb dog can bark his head off if he hears someone at the door…not sure how much attacking he could really do. The alarm clock thing is cool…except for the weekends. I don’t always want to wake up and feed him at 6:30am…but he is used to his schedule. Only good thing is once I feed him I can go back to sleep. So that is one major change…I haven’t slept past 8 am since I got the dog
3. I take him EVERYWHERE with me. (The pic is him in Manhattan in his new army carrier. lol) And since he is so small and adorable…no one has had any opposition. I never bring him into places where they serve food…but everywhere else is ok. But, I do live in NY where EVERYONE owns a dog…
4. Puppies sleep ALOT. I used to feel so guilty about leaving him at home for so many hours a day…but on the weekend I get to see how much he really sleeps…and he sleeps alot! Almost like a cat! So don’t worry about your potential puppy when you are at work…just keep lots of toys around.
5. House breaking SUCKS! I have never mopped so much in my life!!! I don’t know if he is just being stubborn (Yorkies are known for being stubborn) or he is just dumb 🙂 but jeez!!! After 4 months I am FINALLY seeing a light at the end of the tunnel but we still have incidents.
Nicolay is pad training…my main beef with him is that he will put his front paws on the pad and think that is sufficient…hmm no boo boo…the important parts are still off the pad. A for effort, F for execution. But…he does gets credit…we can be in the living room and he will get up and trot to the back of the house where his bathroom is and then come back…so he KNOWS what he is supposed to do…
6. He is like it little child!!! Wow…he whines like a baby, he will have little temper tantrums…but considering he is only 4lbs its nothing too crazy. This may just be Yorkie specific…but if he doesn’t want to do something…he’s not gonna do it (but its ok…just pick them up! lol)
Just yesterday we were going for a walk…he saw some people and he wanted to say hi (he ALWAYS wants to say hi to everyone!) I tugged on the leash to let him know it was time to go…do you know this fool laid down in the middle of the street and refused to move until the people were close enough and he could say hi?!? Temper tantrum much?
7. OH wait! Nicolay forces me to talk to people more…which can be a good or bad thing. Good because I am not an outgoing person so its nice to have an adorable conversation starter. I have met ALOT of great people because of Mr. NP…Bad because sometimes people are rude. People just come out of their faces and ask me how much I paid for my dog! I talked to Brunsli about this before…I CANNOT stand that. I love NY, but lets be real…I am in NYC…fools are crazy and I don’t want someone to try and knock me down and take my dog. People, wait complete strangers, asking me how much I paid for my dog is uncomfortable and annoying. So just be prepared…if you get a small dog…people are gonna do that.
So…basically…I LOVE having a puppy. He was expensive at first (vaccinations and neutering) but his food isn’t expensive (he doesn’t eat much) and unless you want to buys toys and clothes its not that bad after the first few months.
How can you say no to this face?!? lol